Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Are you "In", or "Out"?

I don't know how the conversation even started. I think it was prompted by me telling the kids that they were missing out on one of the most beautiful days this summer, by sitting in the house. I told them that they needed to go out and enjoy the weather. There they stood all sulking like I was asking something totally unheard of out of them. So, after 3 tantrums, I decided to KICK them outside. As they were hanging their heads and walking to the door, I heard Elli mumble to Thys,

"Thys, Mommy loves Tessa more than us."

There is was....the words I used to say to my mom.

"Mom, do you love _________ more than me?"

The question that you really don't fully understand as absolutly ridiculous until you actually have kids of your own. I said,

"Elli, what did you just say?".

"You love Tessa more than us".

And of course I gave the same answer my mom always gave us,

"No, I love all of you the same".

Lame answer--but true. I should have played along, which Dean would have done, and said, "Yup, your right." Although I know that WWIII would have broken out then. So, as we speak, I have the door to the garage open and I am listening to the kids in the garage. They all have their little kid chairs in a circle, and they have now formed the Anti-Mom club. They are asking Tessa if she is "in", or "out". I guess in order to be "in", you have to believe that mom loves someone else more than you!! Thank goodness Tessa can't say sentences yet. At least I have one kid still on my side.

No comments: