Friday, November 10, 2006

Let's Aerobicize!!



Holy Cow!! So I got this grand idea this afternoon, that I would begin a new chapter in my life. A healthy chapter. Dean and I keep saying that we feel, and talk, like we are 80 years old with all the backaches, heartpains, snapping joints--lada lada lada. I usually sit on the couch at 1:00pm, put Tessa down for a nap, put the other 3 in the basement with a movie for rest time, and turn on Days Of Our Lives. As you know, resting for that hour tends to make me more tired when I get off the couch at 2. So I knew I needed to do something different. The first step was deciding WHAT to do. I used to be an aerobic queen back in the day, doing it almost everyday religiously. But, that was before 4 kids, the addiction to Days Of Our Lives, and the achy, snapping joints. I decided I would do my Jane Fonda step aerobic video. This is the actual video that I own--I know, wow huh! So, the first step was to locate the steps---I didn't even know if we still owned them. With a little searching in the basement, I spotted the hot pink and turquois steps under the basement stairs. Ok, you have to know that our basement is as unfinished as they come. Besides the loads of kids toys scattered on every square inch of the floor, the only other thing down their is yucky, nasty, crawly bugs and their webs. (I know, nice that we let our kids play amongst them huh?). So in order to get these psychedelic aerobic steps from under our stairs, I needed to become one with these bugs and their habitat. Not something I am fond of. But, I am starting this new chapter right? So, out came the broom to fish out those steps. As I am pulling them out, I notice that they actually are growing mold on them. Yes, nice black mold on these steps. That about stopped the new chapter in my life right there. But, I am a detemined 30+ woman with an agenda.(this just delayed the agenda) Into the garage I went and out came the hose and rags. By now I am hustling, b/c Curious George: the Movie has now been playing for 30min. and I knew I only had 50min. left of "tina time". So I throw in the video and begin. I never realized how many times I actually did this video years ago. Does anyone have those old workout videos that you did so many times, so long ago, that you know them by heart and you know what Jane Fonda is going to say before she even says it? I felt like I was back in 1998, in Dean and I's first apartment, doing this video again. I didn't miss a beat, or a sentence. I still knew when I was almost done, by the moves in the routine. Although, 8 1/2 years later, the exercises were a bit more tiring, the leg lifts were a bit lower, the jumps were (lets just say non-existant), the video was a ton cornier, and the man on the video was a lot more feminine than what I remember.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Good for you, Tina! I certainly hope you are still watching Days though!!

Dana said...

I've got a Buns of Steel you can borrow if you want.

No, really. PLEASE borrow it.

And it strikes me as funny that i'm currently typing this with one hand because the other is holding a reese's peanut butter cup.

Anonymous said...

I'll watch Days for you while I continue to eat my children's Halloween candy and then feel guilty knowing that you are working out with Jane Fonda at the same time!

Anonymous said...

I always wanted the hot pink and teal green extra wide step with the bright purple additional tiers for high energy days. Instead, I have the solid black step (might have mold but I can't see it if it does) collecting dust. Step Reebok was my memorized VHS workout of choice. My question to you: Were you ever in your targeted heart rate range when Jane made you check?