Monday, January 08, 2007

Toys, Toys, Toys...

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with the toys scattered on every square inch of our floor at this moment. As I started to unpack our suitcases, and realized ALL the toys that our kids got for Christmas, I felt this sudden urge to totally purge out the old, and in with the new. I sat the kids down, and told them that there are kids "out there" that don't even have ONE toy to play with all day long. Wouldn't it be neat if we could pack up some of our toys that we no longer play with, and give those to them? The response that I got was picture worthy. I saw 6 little eyes get extremely big, 3 mouths drop open, and 3 bodies starting to go into panick mode. I believe 3 tantrums were also going to begin if I hadn't offered a reward of candy for their efforts. (rewards of candy--ahhh, the secret to an obediant child!!) So down the stairs we went, with a BIG bag to stuff. As I was helping them sort through their toys, I found if harder for me to part with these toys than they were. What is wrong with me? I WAS THE ONE WHO INITIATED THIS!!! I kept remembering when they recieved these toys--birthdays, Chrismas'... finally, I bit the bullet and alas our bag was full. So why does our basement still look like a total mess?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We discovered that our goods from Christmas wouldn't fit in our rental Taurus on the way home from Christmas, so we had to upgrade to an SUV! Our toy rule is "one comes in, one goes out." But it is hard to give away the ones with sentimental value. Hard for me, not the kids.

Anonymous said...

I am going through the same rigamarole with my kids right now, and we still have our Christmas tree up!!