Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Dancing Queen--Abba Style!!

Why is it that my 4 year old (almost 5--she would be angry if I didn't add that in) is a far better dancer than I am at 31? I decided to turn off the TV this afternoon and crank the music. It's a dreary, very snowy day here in Michigan, so we needed a little pump to pump up our spirits. I put in an old 80's Abba CD Dean had already had in collage. I started out sitting them all on the couch and telling them that "mommy is going to show you guys some dance moves, and then you all can try them". First of all, my kids are the only ones I would ever dance alone in front of. I got my ooes and ahhhs that I was looking for !!! Their eyes got big and their mouths got a wonderful "our mommy is SO cool" smile on them. What came next, is NOT something I was expecting. Elli got off the couch and started dancing. I found myself copying HER moves. We were all in the living room dancing, and I was jealous of my 4 year old (almost 5) and her awesome dance moves. No formal training whatsoever. A true natural. A very depressing afternoon at its finest for me. I no longer have the "cool" moves I once thought (or still thought) I had. I am now one of those old people that kids laugh at at weddings. The ones who are out on the dance floor dancing like they "still got it", but all the while, oblivious to the fact that kids are sitting in their seats just laughing their hind ends off at them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please tell me she pulled out the sprinkler and the lawn mower... A couple of sweet moves she picked up from her old man.

Michelle said...

You had me rolling Tina. That was hilarious. Emma too picks up dance moves extremely fast, but she tends to lack a little rythm with the moves. She definately comes from a dutch family. Well if Elli doesn't excel in all areas of school as you were concerned of earlier, maybe she can go into professional dancing. : )